Monday 27 June 2011

"I don't understand why I'm so bad at actual bowling because I'm so good on the Wii."

After a case of the "terrible Monday's", I was hoping the week would shape up nicely. On Tuesday, I tried to start the new day with a new attitude! But, that was before my trip to the market when I took a look around and realized just how dirty Singapore is! I mean, would you look at all this Singapore litter!
Singapore Litter : ) The pretty flowers are everywhere right now in all different shades of pink, purple, and white!
Don't worry, I was only kidding, it's beautiful here (and very clean)! And the week did in fact shape up nicely!  This week, I didn't do too much experimenting with different recipes aside from a black bean soup and chicken kabobs.  Both surprisingly turned out good.  The kabobs were definitely more fun though.  It was our first time grilling at the new place - we sat out at the patio-grill with Colt and had some drinks and talked while we grilled, the weather was really nice that night too.
Kabobs for our first grill at the new place
 Last week I mentioned the Kopitiam, the Hawker-style food court that Mark and his coworkers eat at sometimes during the week.  Well, Mark and I met Wednesday for lunch and had planned to eat there but we chose an Italian place instead for a little variety for Mark but I still snapped a few photos of it for a visual.  A few of the specialties there include the chicken rice which Mark eats a lot and the roasted duck which neither of us have been brave enough to try...Yet.
Kopitiam, A/C Hawker-style food court
Roasted duck, one of the house specialties
On Thursday, I had lunch with Jessica at a dumpling Bar that she recommended.  We shared two types of Dim Sum (shrimp and pork), rice, and beef noodles.  It was all delicious and I now plan to take Mark there for lunch sometime since he loves dumplings (or Dim Sum).  After a great lunch, Jessica also took me to one of here favorite shopping centers and we walked and shopped for several hours.  Sadly or thankfully, neither of us saw much that we couldn't live without so we left with the only purchase being a cranberry cream cheese bread.
Outside view of the dumpling bar, Din Tai Fung.  I knew it was probably going to be good given the crowd.  When in doubt, I've been told to pick the most crowded place or the place with the longest line.
Since Mark and I already had plans for Saturday, we decided to take it easy on Friday and just went out for one drink then came home.  We hung out with Colt, had dinner, and started a new show called The Wire.  It was not very good the first few episodes but now we're on the 6th episode and we're really starting to get into it!
My drink, Caribbean Romance, from Black and White Bar.  They do the cutest garnishes, this one is a cherry and dragon fruit flower!
My boys hanging out while I cook dinner : )
Such an angel!!
Saturday morning I met Sarah for yoga.  We went to a new studio she found that just opened in Robertson Quay (very near our place), the most convenient studio for both of us.  It was a great workout anyways but more so given the fact that there is no air conditioner (common in much of Asia) so I sweat a lot!  We used the free trial since it just opened but the prices seemed reasonable and it's close to the condo so I would definitely go again.  After yoga, I did somethings around the house and Mark got us subway for lunch/dinner before we started to get ready for the group bowling outing.  Sarah and her boyfriend Brian live close to us so we met at her place before bowling for some drinks and to share a taxi.  Her and Brian have been very helpful answering our Singapore questions but especially with our diving questions. She is an advanced diver who has went on many dives since being is Singapore so she has been able to give us great recommendations on where to go to get certified and where to dive after our certification.  Following drinks we went to bowling where we met a group of 10-12, most of which we had already met but a few that we hadn't.  There we're two lanes of us and we had a great time.  Mark finished with the second highest combined score of the three games, I finished with the lowest. It has to be said that I need some serious work on my bowling form.
Part of the group during the bowling
Sarah, who Niki met in Texas at Absolve before moving to Singapore, and Niki
Mark bowling a spare
Niki bowling a gutter ball
Super awesome bowling shoes!
After a late but fun night of bowling, we did some more work on the place and now I think the only thing we have left to do is hang the pictures.  The handyman is coming on Monday for that, I tried doing it myself but the walls have concrete behind them so I figured I should probably leave it to the professionals.  The condo has sliding doors in both bedrooms and a balcony from the living room with nice views of Singapore and the river but I'll wait for a prettier day outside to get pictures from those. So, here's some starter pictures but I'll post better ones once the place is 100% finished!
The entryway. Colt had to get his mug in a couple shots.
View from entryway.
View of living room
View of living room from hallway
View of living room and kitchen
View of kitchen and dining room
View of guest bathroom, a.k.a Mark's bathroom. To be fair, I did give him the master closet.
Colt's Room
Colt showing off his toy box
Master bedroom
Master bedroom view 2

Niki's Bathroom
Niki's bathroom view 2
The still pretty disorganized study

No comments:

Post a Comment